Air rifle was first seen at the time of 15th century; and now air rifles or pellet guns have been in use for a while. After World War II, the pellet gun became very famous as many people started owning it. They have undergone several changes to be what we see today. A pellet gun differs from a firearm in terms of power and pressure. Firearms use thousands of pressure while an air rifle only applies pressure as low as 50 atmospheres.
As well, air rifles are a bit cheaper when compared to firearms. Pellet guns are used for hunting, pest control, shooting practice, plinking and formal shooting competitions. So, when are thinking to acquire the best air rifle of your choice, ensure that you purchase one that meets all your demands and uses.
How to find the best air rifle?
With a wide range of manufacturers of air rifles in the market, choosing the best can be a challenge to many. Whether it’s your first time purchasing an air rifle or not? It’s good to have knowledge of the current air rifle on the market. Our best pellet gun review below provides you with some of the most sought after pellet guns in the world currently. Thus, it’s important to wisely select your air rifle as you will heavily rely on it when in use. Make sure it has all the necessary features and is ideal for your particular activity. It is better to spend rather than buying a less effective pellet gun.
Summary of Contents
- 0.1 How to find the best air rifle?
- 0.2 What are the factors to consider when purchasing a Air rifle?
- 0.3 Expensive or Cheap air rifles?
- 0.4 Which is the Best airguns for hunting or shooting?
- 0.5 Quality air rifles
- 0.6 Steel, Synthetic or Wood air rifles which one better?
- 0.7 Legal issues of the air rifles
- 0.8 Pellet gun caliber
- 0.9 Which air rifle caliber perfect for you?
- 0.10 Why you need Accurate air rifles?
- 0.11 High power airguns
- 0.12 Difference between the best air rifle and best pellet gun
- 1 Different types of airguns according to their use
- 2 Our Recommend Top 5 best air rifle review:
What are the factors to consider when purchasing a Air rifle?
First and foremost, you’ve to know why you’re purchasing the air rifle. Some of the major uses of air rifles include; shooting practice, plinking, hunting, and shooting competitions. Hunters use pellet guns to hunt small animals such as rabbits, squirrels and birds. When it comes to targeting shooting, some users apply air rifles to shoot for practice. Others use them to compete in shooting competitions where they are awarded for their shooting skills. Lastly, the pellet gun is used for plinking which means that people use it to shoot at targets like cans as a way of practicing or just for fun.
Expensive or Cheap air rifles?
The budget you’ve set aside for the gun is as well crucial. There are very expensive and cheap air rifles on the market. These vary in features, performance and quality. Most of the expensive air rifles are durable and very efficient in use. But for the cheap pellet guns, most of them can be applied in simple uses and short distances. Expensive pellet guns are usually powered by C02 and are as well costly to maintain. While the cheap pellet guns are mostly powered by a spring piston and are easy to maintain. Therefore, you should’ve this in mind when you want to get a new pellet gun.
Which is the Best airguns for hunting or shooting?
What distance will you be shooting? Sometimes people purchase a pellet gun blindly. Knowing the distance you intend to cover with your air rifle is great. It’s disgusting to purchase an air rifle that doesn’t carry out all the functions you thought it would. So, look at the specifications of the gun before acquiring it. It can cover thirty five yards, fifty yards, sixty yards or even eighty yards. Guns are subdivided into four different groups. These are; light, medium, high and super high powered guns.
For light powered guns, they perform best at thirty five yards or less, medium powered guns function great at fifty yards, high powered guns operate best at sixty yards and last but not least, super high powered guns perform great at eighty yards. Guns which perform best at eighty yards are highly regarded as they can operate exceptionally well in all the other yards.
Quality air rifles
One of the major factors to consider when purchasing a pellet gun is its ability to perform under different conditions. This can be in rain, wet conditions, or dusty areas. The gun pellet that you purchase should operate as usual when faced with such situations. The speed and velocity should not change at all. Whichever pellet gun that you decide to buy, make sure that it can perform well in both normal and extreme climatic conditions.
Steel, Synthetic or Wood air rifles which one better?
Furthermore, the material the gun is made of should as well be highly considered. Many air rifles are created using wood, steel, or synthetic. A good material ensures that your air rifle lasts longer and can be used in adverse conditions. The handle of most pellet gun is made of hardwood or synthetic as it can be applied in different weather conditions. In addition, an air rifle with great material provides you with ease of handling and using it. This boosts your accuracy as well. But, all work great and you can choose any one. My personal choice Synthetic air rifles.
Legal issues of the air rifles
The legality of the gun in your area is another great factor to look at. In some states in the USA and countries around the world have different regulations when it comes to owning a gun. Before you buy a particular air rifle, be certain that you can use it in your preferred location and that it’s not prohibited.
Pellet gun caliber
When buying a best pellet gun for hunting or shooting, you should highly consider the caliber of the gun. This is the interior diameter of your gun barrel that decides what kind of ammunition to fire. Different air rifles come with different calibers. The commonly used calibers include; 0.20, 0.22, 0.25 and 0.177 calibers. These are explained below as follows:
Which air rifle caliber perfect for you?
- 20 calibers – this is regarded as the best middle ground in-between 0.177 and 0.22 calibers. Moreover, the caliber 0.20 is suitable for hunting and target shooting. This is as a result of the heavy pellet weight. One of the shortcomings of this kind of caliber is that its ammunitions are difficult to get and when you do find them, they come at a high cost.
- 22 calibers – this is mostly recommended for all kinds of activities. From shooting competitions, pest control, hunting and plinking, it works exceptionally well. It has a larger pellet size than 0.20 caliber, has more weight for better accuracy and a greater impact too. With such performance, the 0.22 is the second most famous after the 0.177 calibers and can be easily found in the market.
- 25 calibers – similar to 0.22 calibers, the 0.25 performs better. It is highly linked with the pre-charged pneumatic system. It is ideal for hunting big games unlike the 0.22 which is suitable for only small games. Despite being expensive, it functions very outstandingly.
- 177 calibers – this is not only the smallest gun caliber, but as well the most famous. In addition, they are cheaper than the first three calibers that we have looked at above. Moreover, the 0.177 is great for target shooting as they are very accurate. Due to their light weight, the 0.177 guns exhibit the highest muzzle velocity. Their flat trajectories ensure that they have great accuracy.
Why you need Accurate air rifles?
A key factor to consider is the rifle’s velocity and accuracy. When shooting a target that is more than 35 yards away, it’s important to acquire a rifle that can maintain its accuracy. As well, moving targets require accuracy when shooting. In such cases, it’s advisable to use a scope to maintain accuracy. It is greatly accepted that the best air rifle’s accuracy reduces quickly on reaching the speed of sound. This takes place when the air rifle is shot and breaks the sound barrier, its velocity reduces and the sonic wave created after the pellet caught up replaces its trajectory, causing a decrease in flight.
In most cases, this is not experienced in short range shooting but mostly in long range shooting. Experienced Shooters often maintain their FPS at 1000 by applying heavy air rifles for better shooting and more impact power.
High power airguns
What level of power do you need in a gun? This varies from one person to another. Depending on what you intend to do with the gun, you should select the gun that has the power that you need. It can be for hunting small game or big games. As well, it may be for hunting in short or long range. If you love shooting from 20 yards, the CO2 power pellet gun is desirable for you.
Difference between the best air rifle and best pellet gun
Before we find the best air rifle or best pellet gun we will dig out what is the difference between them?
- The main difference between air rifle and pellet gun is ammunition. The air rifle usually fires small PLASTIC bullet with the help of air pressure mechanism. It also uses only one size plastic bullet.
- But the pellet gun uses various size LEAD bullets. Light lead bullet use to fire a long distance while large lead bullet use to fire a shorter distance.
- So, which one should buy?
- Definitely, Pellet gun. Actually, nowadays air rifle means pellet gun and both works same way that pellet gun does.
- All adult people should buy pellet gun. Especially, If you want to use a gun for target practicing or hunt/kill small pests, rodents or animals like birds, mice, rabbits, etc. However, the main purpose of pellet gun is target shooting practicing.
If you don’t know much about gun and your young adult very keen to learn the functionality of the gun or want to start of target practicing without any risk then gaming air rifle is the perfect solution for your young child. It is inexpensive if you compare with the real pellet gun.
Different types of airguns according to their use
Finally, the type of gun you want to use in your endeavors is as well significant. It can be Pneumatic, spring piston or CO2 powered pellet gun. The air rifle that you select will depend on how effective and suitable the gun is for you and the activity of application. From price range to use, all these will determine which gun you pick out. With the main three types of air rifles being sold in the market, below is their description, and pros and cons of using them;
Pneumatic Pellet guns
- These are one of the most famous air rifles on the market. They have a pumping chamber which is filled through pumping air into it. When the air pump of the gun is filled with air and the trigger is pulled, the air escapes the chamber pushing the pellet forward. After every shot is made, you’ve to manually pump the chamber to fill it Up.
Its advantages are as follows; very affordable, very accurate, ideal for plinking and target shooting, can be applied as a gun for beginners, no recoil, and last but not least, the power of the gun can be raised or lowered depending on the number of pumps.
Its disadvantages include; Requires to be pumped for every shot, challenging to hunt with as needs to be pumped, delays between shots, and single shot at a time.
Spring powered pellet guns
- This is the most popular of all air rifles. It functions through cocking of a powerful spring, which forces the piston forward and at the same time presses the air to a high pressure, moving the pellet. There are 3 spring design pellet guns. These are; side lever, under level, and the break barrel.
Its advantages include; extremely powerful, simple to use, and comes at a fair price.
The disadvantages are; it’s very loud, to cock a powerful pellet gun can be a great task if you don’t have enough strength, and produces some recoil.
CO2 pellet guns reviews
- They use carbon dioxide cartridges or compressed gas as their source of power when firing a rifle. But when there is a change in temperature like below 60 degrees Fahrenheit, this can drastically have a great impact on the performance of the CO2 air rifle.
- Its advantages are; simple to use, fair price, and their capability to fire semi-automatic shots.
- The disadvantages include; not very powerful when compared to spring or pump powered air rifles, adverse temperatures affect gun’s performance, and repeated buying of CO2 is costly.
Our Recommend Top 5 best air rifle review:
After going through all these factors, choosing a best pellet gun that functions outstanding is made easy for you. That’s why we came up with some of the top air rifles on the market to look at before buying one.
Gamo whisper silent cat air rifle review (Our top pick)
This Gamo whisper is very suitable for small hunting games, a little target practice and pest control. It has several fascinating features that make it an ideal choice of air rifle to use. Being spring piston powered, the air rifle uses 0.177 calibers. With a length of 48.8 inches, the pellet gun can fire a single PBA pellet up to a velocity of 1,200 ft per second and lead pellets at a velocity of up to 1000 FPS.
To minimize sound, it has a no-removable noise dampener that is able to dampen the noise up to 52%. It has a stock created from synthetic and enables the gun to be used in adverse weather. As well, it has an automatic cocking system with a 4X32 scope for accurate shooting.
Ruger blackhawk combo air rifle review
When you talk about the best air rifle, the Ruger Blackhawk combo is definitely one of them. It functions using spring piston break barrel mechanism. Weighing 9.4 pounds, the Ruger Blackhawk combo air rifle is great for shooting long distances and plinking.
It uses 0.177 pellets and comes with a scope that measures 4X32. In addition, it has a composite fiber stock that can withstand different weather conditions. This pellet gun can fire a shot up to a velocity of 1, 000 feet per second.
Benjamin marauder synthetic stock review
If you don’t like the loud sound of an air rifle, then this is the most suitable gun for you. It has an internal shroud that keeps the gun silent even after firing it. Furthermore, it comprises of an auto-indexing component that will enable you to change the velocity with ease. The choked barrel design that it is made of, gives it better accuracy.
It has a synthetic stock which offers the shooter with a good feel and lightweight feature great for aiming and shooting. With a weight of 4.1 pounds, obtaining an accurate shot is almost guaranteed. As well, you can use different calibers like 0.177, 0.22, 0.25 and 22 to fire.
Best .177 pellets – Gamo big cat 1250 review
The Gamo is one of the big brands in the air rifle category. The Gamo big cat 1250 air rifle has a synthetic stock that is very durable and can be used in different weather conditions. It is made of a high tech steel barrel and is a spring piston powered.
With 4X32 scope, the gun has the ability to fire pellets up to 1250 FPS with PBA. Though you will be needed to cock the gun after every shot you take. It has a length of 43.3 inches, weighs around 6.1 pounds and is a 0.177 calibers.
Crosman nitro venom review – Break barrel air rifle reviews
On our list, we consider this as the best air rifle on the market. It has a great design and is ideal for hunting, especially small game and plinking. The gun is able to provide you with an accuracy of up to 35 yards from which you should use a scope for better accuracy.
With it, you can shoot up to 800 feet per second with lead ammo and 950 feet per second with alloy ammo. It has a length of 44.5 inches and weighs 7.4 pounds. Last but not least, the Crosman Nitro Venom air rifle is made of hardwood and its barrel is created from rifled steel that makes it to be durable.
To sum up, the best air rifle or the best pellet gun play a vital role in the lives of shooters, hunters or even pest controllers, among other people. If you want to get the air rifle today, first, begin by comprehending what you intend to do with the gun and proceed to the key features that you need in the pellet gun. By doing this, you will be guaranteed to get a very efficient and exceptional air rifle.