A Multimeter is a very useful tool to a professional electrician and a student studying electrical engineering. This device is normally used to compute voltage, current, resistance, and frequency among other uses. One thing you’ve to note is that not all multimeters are the same. A professional electrician will need an advanced multimeter to effectively carry out his or her tasks, while a novice electrician or electrical student may need a multimeter to help them finish a few tasks here and there.
All-in-all, having the best multimeter in both scenarios will guarantee you accurate and very reliable results.
Features to look for in the best multimeter
If you want a multimeter that will constantly give you accurate results and is very safe, you need to have some of the top rated multimeters with you. We are aware that there are various brands to choose from but this shouldn’t worry you at all. In this broad review, we will support you know what to look for and which brands to buy from as you search the next efficient and effective multimeter for your job or tests. Many manufacturers pose their brands as being high quality and very accurate, but you may be totally disappointed when the multimeter fails to perform as advertised. But, how to find the best multimeter for the money? Take your time when it comes to picking a multimeter to get a highly effective and safe device to use in the field.
Summary of Contents
- 1 Features to look for in the best multimeter
- 2 Best multimeter brands
- 3 Our Recommend Top 5 best multimeter reviews
- 3.1 Best multimeter for electronics – Amprobe multimeter review (Our Top Pick)
- 3.2 Best digital multimeter – Fluke multimeter reviews
- 3.3 Best automotive multimeter – Innova 3320 review
- 3.4 Best autoranging multimeter – Extech multimeter review
- 3.5 Best pocket multimeter – Etekcity multimeter review
Best digital multimeter or best analog multimeter?
Analog or digital – as you are already aware, there are two types of multimeters. We’ve the analog type and digital type. These two are different in that the analog type uses needle-like pointer to indicate measurement outcomes on the display, while the digital type uses numbers that are displayed on the screen to indicate outcomes. Analog multimeters are ideal for showing measurements on a scale such as when measuring frequency, signal power, current, resistance, and to read voltage. For the digital multimeter, they’re good in testing current, voltage or as well continuity. Generally, a digital multimeter is easy to use, has outstanding features and is highly recommended by many.
Durability – always consider having a device that is durably made for a longer life and to withstand harsh conditions. An electrician works in some tight places at times and in case you drop the meter, it should be able to survive the shock and remain intact without breaking. Thus, look for a durably made multimeter for better performance.
Most accurate multimeter?
Accuracy – when it comes to measuring currents, testing voltages or any other electrical duty, you can’t compromise by having a less effective multimeter to conduct the duty. You need a very accurate and effective multimeter to give you accurate outcomes always.
Good multimeter control
Control and settings – a good multimeter should come with several controls or settings that allow you to adjust accordingly. A mulitmeter with different controls such as temperature, data logging among other settings can be of great importance to you and will make your work easier. Consider a multimeter with a digital display as they have excellent features that will enable you control the meter easily.
Pocket size multimeter?
Size – the size of the multimeter shouldn’t be overlooked so much. You want a very portable and easy to store multimeter so that you can travel or move with it very easily. Also the multimeter should be compact to easily fit in tricky places as you execute your electrical duties.
Safety – depending on the circuit types you’re going to handle, for instance over 30 voltages, you need to consider acquiring a multimeter with safety features for protection. Look for a multimeter with features such as isolation slots, internal blast shields, and ample input protection among other safety features. Such features and a great design will offer you protection.
Accessories – some multimeters come with additional features in form of accessories. Such features will make your work easier and as well help tackle other functions. Identify multimeters with accessories to fully utilize the benefits that they have to offer.
Best budget multimeter!
Budget – there are different qualities of multimeters in the market. They vary in price with the best qualities being highly priced. But when you find a top quality multimeter with the features you want and at a fair cost, just get it. Don’t highly regard the price as the top prices aren’t always the best.
Warranty – to safeguard your multimeter, you need to obtain a device with a warranty so that you can easily replace it in case it has a defect. Consider one with a one year or more warranty period.
Best multimeter brands
Similar to other products, the world of multimeters is always changing as new and more sophisticated models are being created daily. Hence, you need to have full data of the multimeter before you go out shopping. But if you know some of the best brands that are highly recommended by various users, then this can be a good head start. Below are some of the best multimeter brands that you may encounter.
Fluke Multimeter review
– this is well regarded as the best brand in the market. The Fluke brand has specialized in creating high quality and very accurate multimeters over the years. As well, it has advanced features that enable you to tackle electrical issues with much ease and great accuracy. The only challenge that this brand has is that it’s very costly. This is my favorite brand who makes the best multimeter for electronics. You can read more about it in the best multimeter reviews 2018 for the money article.
Amprobe multimeter review
– if you’re a looking for a feature packed brand, then the Amprobe is the best choice. This brand has over the years come up with several excellent features that enable it give accurate measurements. Also, all the models they create have a customized flashlight that makes reading data on the display to be easy and fast.
INNOVA multimeter review
– when it comes to quality and design, the INNOVA multimeter is way above the others. The INNOVA brand builds sleek multimeters which are easy to handle and feel comfortable as you function with them. As well, they are really accurate and cost less when contrasted to some of the top brands.
Extech multimeter review
– incepted in the year 1970, Extech has consistently continued to offer high quality multimeters that give you accurate results every time you use them. The brand offers several models which have excellent features and are one of the least expensive.
Klein multimeter review
– Klein has gained popularity as a result of its exceptional but easy to use multimeters. The firm creates excellent multimeters that can perform various tasks. Also, the models they create are favorably priced and can be applied by both Pros and beginners in the electrical field.
Mastech multimeter review
– Another outstanding brand of multimeter is the mastech. This brand creates easy to use meters with some quality features. Similar to Klein, it can be used for various roles and doesn’t need you to be an expert to start using it.
If you’re a learner and looking for a brand that will help you execute your jobs effectively, this is the multimeter to use.
Our Recommend Top 5 best multimeter reviews
Now that we’ve enlightened you on the different features and brands to consider when looking for the best multimeter for your work, here is a list that we came up with after a great research. Most of the multimeters below have excellent features that make your work easier and safe at the same time. Read them carefully to identify one that suits your needs. These are as follows;
Best multimeter for electronics – Amprobe multimeter review (Our Top Pick)
Amprobe is among the top multimeter brands in the market. It has an ergonomic design that will excellently fit in your hand as you carry out different functions. Also, it is durably made and will survive hard situations that you may face while working. It has a capacitance for start ups and to operate capacitors. Furthermore, it has diode test and duty cycle for handling different roles.
One of the unique features of this multimeter is the True-rms feature that precisely measures voltage, and current in various situations. Other features include; built in flashlight for illuminating in low light areas, an automatic power for on/off mode, low battery indicator, probe holder, non contact voltage detector and LCD display among many other exceptional feature.
- Audible continuity.
- True rms feature.
- Non contact voltage detector.
- Built-in flashlight.
- Backlight LCD display.
- This multimeter is very safe to use and has high safety ratings.
- Available at a very great price.
- Has a built in LED flashlight to light in dim areas.
- Comes with a liquid crystal display to indicate readings.
- A small perfect design to fit excellently in your hands during measurements.
Best digital multimeter – Fluke multimeter reviews
Fluke is among the best brands when it comes to multimeters. The Fluke 115 digital multimeter is packed with features that will make your electrical duties be completed fast and with much ease. It is compactly designed and will fit perfectly in your hand for easy operation. It meets safety ratings and thus it’s safe to use in different environments. In addition, it comes with a backlight LED that can be used in dark places. The LCD screen it has is for easy reading of measured or recorded data.
It is very perfect in measuring signal fluctuations and is suitable for professional electricians. On purchase, you also get a holster, 4 mm silicone test lead set and a 9 voltage battery. The manufacturer as well offers a 3 year warranty. These features and others that I haven’t mentioned make fluke 115 digital multimeter to be an excellent meter for diverse uses. If you are looking for best digital multimeter for the money then Fluke is the best one.
- Large LED backlight.
- CAT III 600 V safety rated.
- Compact design.
- True-Rms feature.
- LCD screen.
- It’s very easy to use.
- Has an ergonomic design and fits well in one handle.
- Has a durable and compact design for longevity.
- It is safe to use with the CAT III 600 V safety ratings.
- Has a large backlight for use in dark areas.
Best automotive multimeter – Innova 3320 review
With a compact and small design, the INNOVA 3320 digital multimeter is great for use by electricians. It has excellent features that make using the meter to be fun, easy, and as well safe. It provides accurate readings now and then on its large display screen. Since its UL certified, you can rely on this device to give you excellent readings and at the same time very safe to use in different electrical applications.
Furthermore, it comes with protective rubber corners that secure it from crushing or breaking when it falls down. As well, it is unique in that it possesses auto-ranging scales that get rid of having to dial in the right range when performing electrical measurements. These and other features not named here make it to be a very effective and great multimeter. This is one of the best cheap multimeter in our list.
- Large digital display.
- Single setting resistance.
- UL certified product.
- Auto ranging scales.
- Color coded LED.
- Protective rubber corners.
- Has protective features for durability such as the protective rubber corners.
- Compactly designed for easy use and handling.
- UL certified and thus is very safe to use.
- Has a large LCD screen for easy reading of results.
Best autoranging multimeter – Extech multimeter review
The Extech EX330 mini multimeter is one of the simple but excellent multimeters to own. This quality product from Extech brand offers you more than just measuring circuits and other electrical functions. It is well designed to simply fit in your hand as you conduct your various duties. The multimeter has a rubber holster for protecting the meter in case it falls or crashes on the wall.
AS well, it comes with a large LCD screen that shows different readings that you record. Furthermore, it’s safe to use as it meets the UL listed standards. Other important features that the meter has include; auto-ranging mini meter, ac voltage detector, type k remote probe, built-in thermometer, capacitance and relative function.
- Built in thermometer.
- Auto-ranging mini meter.
- Type K remote probe.
- Rubber holster.
- Duty cycle.
- Ac voltage detector.
- CAT III 600V UL listed.
- Two AAA batteries.
- Has a sleek and small design for easy handling.
- It is very safe to use as it meets the UL listed standards.
- Has a rubber holster to offer additional protection.
- Has easy to use features.
Best pocket multimeter – Etekcity multimeter review
This is one of the perfectly designed multimeters in the market. With a sleek design and comfortable grip, handling this meter is actually easy. It is lightweight and great for travelling with to conduct different electrical applications. It has a digital meter and interpretation of measurements is very simple. The large LCD screen is for display of the outcomes obtained during various measurements.
The unique feature of this best multimeter is its auto-ranging scales that make electronic measurements to be easy and fast. Other excellent features that it offers to its users include; data hold, relative measurement, plastic probe handle, test AC/DC voltage, and many other great features. The manufacturer as well offers a one year warranty on purchase of the product.
- Digital multimeter.
- Palm size design.
- Auto-ranging scales.
- Test AC/DC voltage.
- Data hold.
- LCD screen.
- Plastic probe handle with textured grip.
- Relative measurement.
- 1 year warranty.
- It is compact in size for easy handling and storage.
- Has a textured grip for comfort and ease of use.
- It has a large LCD screen for display of different recordings.
- Has auto-ranging features that makes electronic measuring to be simple.
- Manufacturer offers one year warranty.
With this review, we hope we’ve made your work easier by listing down the features to look for in a multimeter, brands to consider and our top 5 reviews. There are multimeters of different nature and applications. They have varying features and perform differently. Knowing what your needs are before stepping out to look for a multimeter is important. Some are built for small uses while others are powerfully built to suit commercial or large-scale purposes.
In addition, advanced multimeters are ideal for professional electricians as they have sophisticated features that may be of less use to an electrical engineering student. With such great insight and our highlight of the 5 best multimeter to choose from, you can now make a good decision in obtaining a great multimeter for your tasks.