Choosing an appropriate welder if you’re a beginner in welding might be a huge challenge. This is because there are different welding machines to choose from such as stick, arc, mig and tig welding. First time welders normally confuse TIG vs MIG welding. This is usual as the two processes use electrical arcs to create heat and join metallic objects.
TIG and MIG welding are the most common and differ in many ways. These two methods use an electric arc to make the weld. The major difference between TIG and MIG welding is that metal inert gas welding process uses continuously feeding wire and tungsten inert gas welding uses long welding rods and slowly feed them into the weld puddle. In addition, MIG and TIG welding use an inert gas mixture to avoid corrosion of welding electrode. In full, the term MIG means metal inert gas and TIG means tungsten inert gas. These two methods of welding have both their advantages and disadvantages. In this article, we shall look at some of the differences that these types of welding have.
Summary of Contents
- 1 TIG and MIG Welding function
- 2 Advantages of MIG VS TIG welding
- 3 Disadvantages of MIG VS TIG welding
- 4 Which type welding is the best?
TIG and MIG Welding function
Metal inert gas welding or also referred to as Gas metal arc welding (GMAW) is the process of continuously feeding a line of electrodes via a particularized gun. The electrode creates an arc with the metal that you’re trying to weld and then melts, fusing the material together. In addition, the GMAW process involves a protective gas bubble that secures the weld from the close air and the components inside it. Since the wire is utilized by being fed to the material, the parts that are welded together aren’t really being fused, which offers you with the chance to weld different types of metals together.
The electrode needs to be changed after some time as it uses a consumable. In addition, the gas that forms the protective bubble requires being changed often, too.
Tungsten inert gas welding or at times known as gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW) or Heliarc welding is a welding process where a non-consumable tungsten electrode is utilized to heat up the material and melt it, forming a weld puddle. TIG welding is different from metal inert gas in that the weld is created from a single metal type, because there is no filler metal utilized for the weld. Nevertheless, you can add another rod to offer a filler material for you, so that the welding process can be used to more materials or different metals at ago.
Similar to MIG welding, the TIG welding process needs a gas bubble to secure the weld from contaminants. The gases utilized with TIG are normally argon or helium, whereas you would be required to utilize carbon monoxide for metal inert gas. Since there is no feeding involved, there is no need to replace the electrode, just refill the gas tank.
How Tig VS Mig process work?
It is important to know how each process functions. MIG welding is a procedure that entails continuously feeding a metal wire into the weld being formed. The wire functions as a filler material to assist join the two metal objects. TIG welding utilizes a non-consumable tungsten electrode to run a current via the metals being joined and may or may not use a filler metal
Uses for MIG and TIG welding
Both TIG and MIG welding types have a number of uses. It is important to use the right welding for its recommended use. Below are some of the uses of TIG and MIG welding.
MIG welding is versatile in nature and can be applied for a number of uses. A quality metal inert gas welder should be in a position to weld both thin and thick sheets of metal. Great welding machines have a wider power output range and a gauge that will enable you change the power, allowing you to approach softer material without fear of burning through it. Also, MIG welding is very strong enough to weld thick steel pipes and offers a strong connection.
Similar to MIG welding, TIG welding can as well be used on different materials. Nonetheless, the thickness range of this welding type is more limited. Though you can weld both steel and aluminum with the same ease, the materials you will be welding are going to be a bit thinner. The tungsten rod being much thinner than a stick rod, it enables you make a more accurate but much thinner welds.
Advantages of MIG VS TIG welding
- Metal inert gas is the easiest type of welding machine to use. It is easier than arc, stick and TIG welding.
- This type of welding can as well be used for various reasons. This is not the case with some welding types as they have limited uses.
- A metal inert gas welder is very easy to control and comes with easy to use features.
- It is also very simple to operate with easy to use buttons
- If you want quick results, this is a very method of welding compared to TIG welding
- It is very portable and can be lifted or transported from one place to another
- It can be started and stopped with much ease by use of the trigger
- MIG welding is a great tool for using to produce aesthetically pleasing welds, which makes it to be great for sculpture making too.
- This type of welding is very easy to learn and even beginners can use it with little effort
- For quality and aesthetically finished welds, TIG welding is the best.
- TIG welding is more versatile than MIG welding as you can weld different types of metals
- Unlike MIG or any other type of welding, TIG welding provides very accurate results and it is reliable for use on thinner metals.
- This type of welding is ideal for car bodies, motorcycles and sculpture
- This is the cleanest type of welding as it has no splatter. This makes it suitable for welding food processing equipment.
Disadvantages of MIG VS TIG welding
- Unlike TIG welding, this form of welding functions with limited metals
- This is not good for welding cast iron as it is too weak. This is as a result of its low or lack of power.
- The MIG welder is not suitable for outdoor use as it cannot be utilized in windy or wet conditions.
- It is not suitable for very thin or extremely thick metals
- For it to function well, the metal or material should be clean
- The MIG welding is extremely powerful for thin aluminum which limits its use on thick metals alone.
- This is not the ideal welding type for beginners as it is a bit complicated to use
- It is a bit slower in use when compared to MIG welding
- Using this welder needs the user to utilize both of their hands and a foot.
- To use this welding on a material, the material has to be cleaned thoroughly and all dirt got rid of or less it won’t function.
Their suitability to weld thicket metal objects
MIG welding uses a consumable filler material to make welds. As a result, it can always complete welds of thicker metal objects in less time than a TIG weld. Without a filler material, TIG welding requires to make the parts of metal being welded hot enough to create a bond with one another. Usually, this is easier with thinner pieces of metal than with thicker ones. MIG welding is best suited for very thick, heavy duty welds. On the other hand, TIG welding is better suited for thinner pieces of metal.
Furthermore, pipe welding and other heavier tasks can be carried out by TIG welding. All you require is a unit that is capable of putting out the amount of power that you require.
Ease of control
When it comes to ease of use, MIG welding is the simplest to use. The metal inert gas welding process is more forgiving in case of a mistake compared to TIG welding. This makes it to be ideal for first time welders, enthusiastic welders and non-expert welders. Most of the time, TIG welding is best done utilizing an automated, computer numerically-controlled (CNC) welding machine. Machines can reliably carry out identical welds over and over much more easily than a manual welder could.
Which type welding is the best?
TIG and MIG welding are some of the two most common types of welding. Metal inert gas welding is very easy to learn when compared to tungsten inert gas welding. On the other hand, TIG welding is better for using on small welds in small areas, for welding thinner metal and it’s the only kind of welding used in sanitation welding. So, if you want a versatile welder, then MIG welding will be the best choice for you. But if you want quality welds, then TIG welding will be the best option.
Choose a welding type that is very easy to use on the type of metal that you’re welding on. It can be aluminum, steel, or copper. Hope you’ve found this article to be informative and guided you on how to select your next welding tool.
Note: If you’re a beginner or DIY enthusiast, then you are better off with MIG welding as it is easy to use. TIG welding should be used by a person with full knowledge and it is best suited for professional welders.
Whatever welder you decide to use, whether its MIG or TIG, you should get the weld settings and controls just right. If you don’t do so, you may actually endanger repeating the same mistake over and over again. Of the two, the most versatile type is the TIG welder as it can allow you to weld different types of metals. Its setback is that this machine is really slow. If you have simple projects that you want to perform at home, a metal inert gas welder is the best to use.
Always choose the best and most versatile welder for your use. Before deciding on which welder to choose, you should know what welding tasks you’ve and the type of metal that you want to weld.